I have recently been doing some research on childbirth in the hopsital and in a birthing center. I've been trying to compare and contrast them and so far, I am literally scared to deliver my baby in a hospital.
1. You are laying flat on your back, which is an unnatural position and gravity is working against you. It has been reported to be more painful this way too.
2. You are treated like a medical object and doctors are more likely to use forecepts, a vaccum or other methods to get the baby out which is probably unnecessary because women have been delivering babies for centuries without that stuff (and still do in many countries).
3. Hospital staff may take your newborn away from you for hours at a time which can be devistating to the mother and infant. Babies need constant skin to skin contact and warmth (not just for bonding!).
4. I do not want an episiotomy or c section unless me or the baby will die without it, and as I have come to understand they are routine!?
5. I want to be in as much control as I can during one of the most traumatic bodily experiences I'll likely ever have.
6. I want to be in a reasurring environment that will help me have as little anxiety as possible. I really feel like childbirth is made worse in a hospital environment where they hook you up to IV's and god knows what else. Not necessary unless you are having serious complications!
Onto more reading and research...